Los Angeles, Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Attorney: Thomas E. Donahue
Amount Recovered: $4,500,000
Case Summary: Child and parents recover $4,500,000 from hospital for failure to diagnose a placental abruption and delayed delivery of baby resulting in brain injury.
Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Case Description
In 2004, Thomas E. Donahue’s clients recovered $4,500,000 from a hospital as a result of malpractice by the nursing staff. The case involved a term pregnant mother who was at home when she started experiencing contractions. However, shortly before she arrived at the hospital the pain became severe and unrelenting. She went immediately went to labor and delivery and told the admitting nurse that she had severe pain and that something was wrong.
The nurse failed to call the obstetrician and proceeded as though there was no emergency. After a significant delay, the nurse started monitoring the fetal heart rate and saw the fetus was in distress. The nurse notified the obstetrician.
Prior to the attending obstetrician’s arrival at the hospital, another obstetrician on the unit intervened and delivered the child by c-section and saved the child’s life. Unfortunately, the child suffered severe brain injury from a lack of oxygen and requires round the clock and will be permanently disabled for life. The child and his parents received $4,500,000.
- More Verdicts and Settlements
- FAQs About Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
- Medical Malpractice Birth Injuries and Wrongful Death
About Thomas E. Donahue
Thomas E. Donahue has extensive experience litigating complex medical malpractice cases. His focus over the past 15 years has been in birth related injuries, in which a newborn was injured due to the negligence in the labor, delivery and/or neonatal care.
Mr. Donahue has recovered over a hundred million dollars for children throughout California and has established multi-million dollar Special Needs Trusts for children that have been injured by negligent physicians and hospitals. His clients have consistently received the necessary money to provide them all of the medical care, treatment and services they require throughout their lifetime. These cases have also resulted in the parents recovering substantial damages due to the injuries to their child. Mr. Donahue’s keen focus and interest in this field has resulted in a special knowledge and experience with the legal and medical issues in these cases. He also has a long history of handling complex cases against the top defense firms in the State and, thus, has an unmatched insight into how your case will be defended.
Mr. Donahue has litigated almost every type of medical malpractice case including the following:
- Birth injuries including negligent management of labor, deliver and resuscitation resulting in brain injury to children including failure to recognize fetal distress, negligence in using vacuum and forceps, negligent resuscitation of babies after delivery, failure to treat Pregnancy induced hypertension and pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome;
- Brain injuries due to negligence including failure to diagnose and treat hydrocephalus in adults and children;
- Failure to diagnose and treat cancer;
- Negligent care and treatment in the emergency room department;
- Negligent care and treatment in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit;
- Negligent care and treatment in subacute and rehabilitation units; and
- Negligence in Gastric Bypass Surgery.
Litigating against hospitals, physicians, nurses, and other medical facilities and staff is costly and requires substantial resources, knowledge, and experience. Donahue & Horrow, LLP is committed to litigating cases in an aggressive manner and maximizing the recovery for its clients. All cases are taken on a contingency fee basis, which means we bear the financial risks of pursuing your case — as a client, you pay nothing unless and until we recover for you by way of settlement or jury verdict.