Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Attorneys, El Segundo, CA
Attorney: Thomas E. Donahue
Settlement Amount: $2,400,000
Case Summary: Child receives $2,400,000 from hospital, obstetrician and pediatrician for negligence in labor, delivery and neonatal care.
Medical Malpractice Case Description
Thomas E. Donahue’s clients received $2,400,000 in medical malpractice case. The case involved a term pregnant woman who was in the hospital and in labor. The labor became complicated when the child failed to descend in the birth canal.
The obstetrician attempted, inappropriately, to deliver the child by using a vacuum. The child could not be delivered and a c-section was ordered. The child was born in good condition but his condition quickly deteriorated after delivery and was taken to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The child then started experiencing breathing problems and seizures. The nurse failed to call the pediatrician in a timely manner and when the pediatrician arrived the child had to be intubated (a tube placed in the trachea to help the child breath.)
Investigation and discovery revealed that the use of the vacuum extractor was inappropriate and caused bleeding in the child’s brain. The hospital, obstetrician, and pediatrician settled the case for $2,400,000.
- More Verdicts and Settlements
- FAQs About Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
- Medical Malpractice Birth Injuries and Wrongful Death
About Thomas E. Donahue
Thomas E. Donahue has extensive experience litigating complex medical malpractice cases. His focus over the past 15 years has been in birth related injuries, in which a newborn was injured due to the negligence in the labor, delivery and/or neonatal care.
Mr. Donahue has recovered over a hundred million dollars for children throughout California and has established multi-million dollar Special Needs Trusts for children that have been injured by negligent physicians and hospitals. His clients have consistently received the necessary money to provide them all of the medical care, treatment and services they require throughout their lifetime. These cases have also resulted in the parents recovering substantial damages due to the injuries to their child. Mr. Donahue’s keen focus and interest in this field has resulted in a special knowledge and experience with the legal and medical issues in these cases. He also has a long history of handling complex cases against the top defense firms in the State and, thus, has an unmatched insight into how your case will be defended.
Mr. Donahue has litigated almost every type of medical malpractice case including the following:
- Birth injuries including negligent management of labor, deliver and resuscitation resulting in brain injury to children including failure to recognize fetal distress, negligence in using vacuum and forceps, negligent resuscitation of babies after delivery, failure to treat Pregnancy induced hypertension and pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome;
- Brain injuries due to negligence including failure to diagnose and treat hydrocephalus in adults and children;
- Failure to diagnose and treat cancer;
- Negligent care and treatment in the emergency room department;
- Negligent care and treatment in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit;
- Negligent care and treatment in subacute and rehabilitation units; and
- Negligence in Gastric Bypass Surgery.
Litigating against hospitals, physicians, nurses, and other medical facilities and staff is costly and requires substantial resources, knowledge, and experience. Donahue & Horrow, LLP is committed to litigating cases in an aggressive manner and maximizing the recovery for its clients. All cases are taken on a contingency fee basis, which means we bear the financial risks of pursuing your case — as a client, you pay nothing unless and until we recover for you by way of settlement or verdict.