Thomas E. Donahue
Thomas E. Donahue is the managing partner of the Medical Malpractice, Elder Abuse and Personal Injury Department of Donahue & Horrow, LLP. He represents injured patients and their families who have been injured, abused, neglected or died as a result of negligence by physicians, hospitals, nursing homes and other health care providers.
Mr. Donahue has recovered more than one hundred million dollars for his clients that have been injured or died as a result of medical negligence and elder abuse.
Thomas E. Donahue has extensive experience litigating complex medical malpractice cases. His focus over the past 20 years has been in birth related injuries, in which a newborn was injured due to the negligence in the labor, delivery and/or neonatal care.
Mr. Donahue has recovered over a hundred million dollars for children throughout California and has established multi-million dollar Special Needs Trusts for children that have been injured by negligent physicians and hospitals. His clients have consistently received the necessary money to provide them all of the medical care, treatment and services they require throughout their lifetime. These cases have also resulted in the parents recovering substantial damages due to the injuries to their child. Mr. Donahue’s keen focus and interest in this field has resulted in a special knowledge and experience with the legal and medical issues in these cases. He also has a long history of handling complex cases against the top defense firms in the State and, thus, has an unmatched insight into how your case will be defended.
Mr. Donahue has litigated almost every type of medical malpractice case including the following:
- Birth injuries including negligent management of labor, deliver and resuscitation resulting in brain injury to children including failure to recognize fetal distress, negligence in using vacuum and forceps, negligent resuscitation of babies after delivery, failure to treat Pregnancy induced hypertension and pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome;
- Brain injuries due to negligence including failure to diagnose and treat hydrocephalus in adults and children;
- Failure to diagnose and treat cancer;
- Negligent care and treatment in the emergency room department;
- Negligent care and treatment in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit;
- Negligent care and treatment in subacute and rehabilitation units; and
- Negligence in Gastric Bypass Surgery.
Thomas E. Donahue was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska and is the fifth lawyer in his family. Two other family members were surgeons. Law and medicine were in his blood from the beginning and he has a natural affinity for medical malpractice. He is a 1985 graduate of the University of Nebraska at Omaha. In 1991, he graduated from Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles with Juris Doctor. From 1991 to 2000, he practiced civil defense litigation at a prestigious Los Angeles law firm. Mr. Donahue litigated and tried many cases involving medical malpractice and personal injuries. Mr. Donahue tried numerous cases before juries in California State Courts and had a greater than 90% success rate. Mr. Donahue, therefore, has unique knowledge as to how defendants and insurance companies will defend your case.
Thomas Donahue is a passionate and persistent lawyer, dedicated to obtaining justice for the families and individuals that have dealt with unjust tragedies. His zeal for results is impeccable and adds to the foundation of determination and effectiveness throughout the law firm. In addition, he has contributed greatly to the community and loves spending time with his two boys.
In the year 2000, Mr. Donahue changed the focus of his practice and started representing only plaintiffs in medical malpractice cases throughout California. The sole focus of Mr. Donahue’s practice over the past eighteen years has involved the most complex cases of medical negligence with clients that have suffered birth and/or brain injuries and wrongful death. Mr. Donahue has litigated complicated case against the top defense firms in the State and has recovered more than a hundred million dollars for his clients. Mr. Donahue is a member of the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Consumer Attorneys Association of California and the American Association for Justice.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Neglect and Elder Abuse
- Personal Injury Department
- Litigating Complex Medical Malpractice
- Birth Related Injuries
- Medical Malpractice Wrongful Death Cases
- Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, California
Juris Doctor – 1991
- University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska – 1985
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of California, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Los Angeles Law Firm, 1991 – 2000